October 6, 2014
We continue our series of Lavazza K-Cup reviews today with the next flavor in the line-up… Lavazza Classico K-Cups. This is billed as medium roast and is supposed to be suited as an everyday coffee which can be enjoyed at any time. Let’s see how this one turns out, shall we?
Brewing these K-Cups resulted in light aromas of smoky hickory tinged with very mild hints of dates & raisins as the coffee cools off. Keurig & Lavazza describe the coffee as having an aroma of dried fruits and while it may not have been evident at first, we did eventually start getting some mild notes after a while. Continue reading: "Lavazza Classico K-Cups Review"
Read More in: K Cup Reviews | Keurig & K-Cups | Lavazza | Reviews
October 3, 2014
It’s time for a little Friday fun - how about a Starbucks coffee cup makeover? We quite like the superhero slant, and if you click through to Nerdalicious you can see even more.
Read More in: General News
October 2, 2014
If you've got some older Vue packs and a Keurig 2.0 brewer you will find there's something missing on those older Vue packs - a green dot. The green dot tells the Keurig 2.0 brewer you can use the Vue or K-Carafe pack with your new Keurig 2.0. SH had some fun recently getting the older Vue packs to work in the Keurig 2.0 brewer, and in the end had success when using a dot from the current K-Carafe cups to trick the brewer into thinking it was a new Vue pack.
No matter what I tried, couldn't find tape or post-it notes in the correct shade of pastel green to match the dots on K-Carafe packs (the pics below might look like I found the right shade, but it was still darker than what appears in photo & didn't work).
Decided to do like k-cups and cut as much of the dot as I could off a used K-Carafe pack. Stuck some masking tape underneath & aligned it in the same position on top of an old Vue Pack.
Popped everything in K2.0 and sure enough, it worked. Picked option 4, 8oz, strong. Perfect cup of Gloria Jean's Hazelnut. Was surprised it still worked despite left edge of dot missing. I'm also thinking that the laser reads reflectivity and since the tape wasn't shiny like foil dot, that's why it didn't work?
Anyway, now I've got a "reusable dot" for all my old Vue Packs
Currently Vue packs are being changed over to the Vue pack format with the green dot so all Vue packs will work with Keurig 2.0 in the future.
Read More in: Keurig Vue & V-Cups
October 1, 2014
Did you know you had some type of data port in the bottom of your Keurig 2.0? We found it tucked away underneath the Keurig 2.0 (read our article here) waiting to be used at some later point. Is it going to connect to the Keurig Cold coming out soon? Is it going to be used to connect to AOL by dialing out using a modem? :-) Keurig Green Mountain had provided us the answer on what this mystery port is...
The “port" on the bottom of the system is similar to the port you would plug a landline phone into in your home. This was included in the new Keurig 2.0 brewers to give the future ability to connect an accessory to give the brewer internet connectivity, should consumers opt in and wish to do so. This port is not currently in use and any future uses are still in the early stages of innovation.
So there you have it. It’s to future proof the Keurig 2.0 and perhaps give us recipes to download or to be able to connect to the Keurig 2.0 over our smartphone for smart home uses. Who knows? What do you think they’ll use the port for in the future?
Read More in: Keurig & K-Cups | Single Serve Coffee Machines
September 30, 2014
The Mighty Mug is just the travel mug you’ve been looking for if you’ve ever encountered the dreaded coffee mug spill. The Mighty Mug is the world's only mug powered by patented Smartgrip Technology. The base of the mug has a an airlock that when pushed from the side doesn’t release. If you lift Mighty Mug up the Smartgrip will release.
That’s what makes Mighty Mug so different. Mighty Mug grips to your desk when knocked into, but lifts naturally like any other mug. There are no buttons to push or levers to pull to get Mighty Mug to work. Mighty Mug is not a suction cup nor is it a magnet, but rather something entirely new.
Mighty Mug has successfully been funded on Kickstarter so look for them this October and November at stores and online.
Read More in: Coffee Cups & Travel Mugs
September 29, 2014
We reach the end of a long journey today with Part 3 of our 3-part Keurig 2.0 Mega Review where we discuss our main likes, dislikes & nitpicks about the new 2.0 brewers, our discovery of a hidden port under the machine (do we have your attention now?) & our final conclusion about the new 2.0 brewer series.
What did we like?
- Overall design/look of the new brewers. They seem to have a nicer, more modern look which appears to be a fusion of various design cues from the old Keurig 1.0 Series B70 brewers & the Keurig (1.5 Series?) Vue V700 brewers.
- The designing ingenuity which went into creating the retractable K-Cup piercing needle mechanism. As we noted in Part 2 of our Mega Review, this level of design is something we’d be expecting to see come out of Apple’s Cupertino offices… not Keurig Green Mountain. The fact that Legos inspired it further shows that amazing things can come from the most simple of ideas. Continue reading: "Keurig 2.0 Likes, Dislikes, Nitpicks, Hidden Port & Conclusion"
Read More in: Keurig & K-Cups | Keurig Vue & V-Cups | Reviews | Single Serve Coffee Machines
September 26, 2014
The Breaking Bad Beaker Mug will make you break a little more bad in your pursuit of the ultimate coffee hight. This Officially-licensed Breaking Bad merchandise Mug features measurements in milliliters and the face of Heisenberg. It’s not ideal for cooking up 'the blue,' but makes a great gift. Not dishwasher or microwave safe but then again - was being bad ever safe?
Read More in: Coffee Cups & Travel Mugs
September 25, 2014
The pour over craze continues with the The Philips Cafe Gourmet Coffee maker. The Philips Café Gourmet can make a cup of coffee just like handmade filter coffee, thanks to the high brewing temperature created by the unique Boil & Brew system.Water is boiled first and then flows through ground coffee.The temperature, maintained by special dual heating element, reaches at least 93°C, helping to create the richest flavor and superior aroma for your filter coffee.
Other key features of the Philips Café Gourmet coffee maker include:
- Drip Stop to interrupt coffee brewing whenever you like
- Translucent water tank with detachable lid
- Detachable filter holder
- Auto shut-off after 30 minutes
- Illuminated power switch
- Dishwasher safe parts for easy cleaning
- Cable storage and non slip feet
Read More in: Whole Bean and Ground Coffee
September 24, 2014
If you’re looking for a Nespresso capsule alternative you may want to check out Mixpresso. Made in Italy, Mixpresso offers 4 different espresso capsule options and they also have their own single serve espresso machines:
- Ricco, made from 100% full drums Robusta. A powerful & contrasting rich flavor that's a perfectly smooth experience on the tongue. A cup of this full-bodied roaster is simply perfect to suit the expectations of true lovers of quality traditional Italian Espresso.
- Luce- best defined as an angelic light and easy speciality decaf. It's our classic lively yet gentle flavor on the menu. Luce offers a snappy crisp and citrus body from the Central American coffee bean matched with a complete depth and sweetness of an Ethiopian classic.
- Classe is Mixpresso's Superior Blend. A Perfect harmony of aromatic coffee from the Arabica species, similar to that of the Lungo but blended with an excellent natural, rustic coffee from the Robusta species. A creamy, full bodied and easy to work coffee blend with a complex yet persistent taste.
- Lungo, is the line for coffee purists, obtained by five selected components of 100% Arabica species of coffee from Central & South America and East Africa. Its intense toasted aroma is accompanied by a combination of slightly fruity flavors in which you can percieve gentle notes of Myrtle.
They have 3 different machines with the main difference being color. There’s Logan, Isabelle, and Steve. We’re pretty sure these machines are Nespresso capsule compatible as well.
Read More in: Nespresso | Single Serve Coffee Machines
September 23, 2014
McDonalds.ca has announced McCafe K-Cups and T-Discs for your K-Cup Brewers (not Keurig 2.0) and Tassimo home brewing systems. You can now take home their Premium Roast coffee and it will be available at McDonald’s restaurants and most major grocery stores in four convenient formats.
- McCafe K-Cup Portion Packs - Works in Keurig 1.0 brewers only
- McCafe Tassimo T-Discs
- McCafe Ground Coffee
- McCafe Whole Bean Coffee
Read More in: Keurig & K-Cups | Tassimo & T-Discs | Whole Bean and Ground Coffee
Last 100+ Entries
Complete list in the News Archives